I am not one to complain, but if there is something that does bother me about Amman, or Jordan in general, it’s that wherever you go you end up inhaling second-hand smoke (not to mention smelling like an ashtray). Though the King Hussein Cancer Foundation (KHCF) is trying to promote the smoke-free movement with their “Smoke-Free Zone Certificate” program which they launched in 2014, as a way to “encourage companies, institutions and restaurants to provide a healthy and smoke-free environment for their employees and customers and is a practice of communal commitment”, it’s still hard to find a place in Jordan to have a drink or bite to eat without a smoker in sight.
There are many reasons why I don’t smoke, but a main factor is of course to avoid the life-threatening effects, but the problem is that just being surrounded by smokers is harmful for the health… Did you know second-hand smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals and hundreds are toxic and about 70 can cause cancer? Source: Center for Disease Control
Because of this, and the fact that the KHCF 2016 list of Smoke-Free Zone Certificate winners only included one restaurant, I decided to investigate places in Amman that I can go without having to worry about smoke.
Below you will find a list which I will continue to update as I find more of tobacco-free spots across the city (I really hope this list gets longer quickly!) And don’t worry, I’ve made sure my list doesn’t include the places with these so-called “non-smoking sections” which are always conveniently one table away from the smoking section.
in Jabal Amman
- Primal – Paleo, Healthy
- Pepper & Pine Co. – Healthy
- Melograno – Italian Cuisine
- Little Italy Pizzeria – Italian Cuisine. Comment: only the lower level is smoke-free
- Wox and Company – Indian, Japanese, Chinese
- Foodsmith (Taj Mall) – Grille
- Fatty Dab’s Burger Shack – Burgers
- Jasmine House Art & Food – Italian Cuisine & Art Gallery
- Il Terrazzo (Marriot Hotel) – Italian
- The Sushi Den – Japanese
- Trattoria (Qasr Metropole Hotel) – Italian
- Colours Restaurant (Landmark Hotel) – Regional and International Cuisine
Smoke-free Dessert Shoppes
- Four Winters – Ice cream – Abdoun and The Boulevard (Abdali) locations
- The Cake Shop – Sweets – various locations across Amman (Abdoun, Dabouq, Al Rabieh, Khalda, 7th Circle)
- Hala’s Treats – Sweets – Abdoun
- Cereal Killer Cafe – Cereal – Abdoun
Smoke-free Coffee & Tea Shoppes
- Rumi Cafe – Primary location: Weibdeh. Secondary location: on the second floor of the Shoman Foundation Library
- Mindhub – Al Rabieh
- Caffé Strada – Jabal Amman
- Fann wa Chai – Weibdeh
- The Good Book Shop – Jabal Amman
- Starbucks – various locations around Amman
- Costa Coffee – various locations around Amman
- Almond Coffee House – Mecca Street. Comment: only the lower level is smoke-free
- The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf – Dabouq location completely smoke-free. Two other locations in Abdoun with the lower levels being smoke-free.
- Boutique Bakery – Weibdeh
- Books@Cafe – Abdoun
- Mint Lobby Lounge (Landmark Hotel) – Abdali
Other Smoke-free Establishments
- Shoman Foundation Library – Jabal Amman
- German Jordanian University – School – Amman Madaba Street
- The Amman Marriott (Lobby) – Hotel – Shmeisani
- Carakale Brewing Company – Brewery – Fuhais
Do you know of other smoke-free locations in Amman? Comment below!